Written By Michael Greger M.D. FACLM on July 8th, 2021
Fasting has been branded the “next big weight loss fad,” and about one in seven Americans report using some sort of fasting as a means for weight loss.
This infographic is a guide to explore some of the key facts to help you to make your own choice. Dr. Greger compares the advantages and disadvantages of different types of fasting based on the latest evidence, and provides some important cautions and notes to consider before deciding to start.
For all of the videos on fasting, check out our topic page . Fasting for weight loss is also covered in-depth in Dr. Greger’s book How Not to Diet .
In health, Michael Greger, M.D.
PS: If you haven’t yet, you can subscribe to my free videos here and watch my live, year-in-review presentations:
- 2019: Evidence-Based Weight Loss
- 2016: How Not To Die: The Role of Diet in Preventing, Arresting, and Reversing Our Top 15 Killers
- 2015: Food as Medicine: Preventing and Treating the Most Dreaded Diseases with Diet
- 2014: From Table to Able: Combating Disabling Diseases with Food
- 2013: More Than an Apple a Day
- 2012: Uprooting the Leading Causes of Death
Michael Greger M.D. FACLM
Michael Greger, M.D. FACLM, is a physician, New York Times bestselling author, and internationally recognized professional speaker on a number of important public health issues. Dr. Greger has lectured at the Conference on World Affairs, the National Institutes of Health, and the International Bird Flu Summit, testified before Congress, appeared on The Dr. Oz Show and The Colbert Report, and was invited as an expert witness in defense of Oprah Winfrey at the infamous "meat defamation" trial.
This post originally appeared on Nutrition Facts.